Ashland Insurance

Your local Independent Agents Since 1981

Renters Insurance

Renters insurance offers financial protection against the loss or destruction of your possessions when you rent a house or apartment. While your landlord may be sympathetic to a burglary you have experienced or a fire caused by your iron, destruction or loss of your possessions is not usually covered by your landlord’s insurance. Because in most cases, renters insurance covers only the value of your belongings, not the physical building, the premium is relatively inexpensive.


By purchasing renters insurance, your possessions are covered losses such as from fire or smoke, lightning, vandalism, theft, explosion, windstorm, and water damage (not including floods). Like homeowners insurance, renters insurance can also cover your responsibility to other people injured at your home or elsewhere by you, a family member, or your pet and pays legal defense costs if you are taken to court.


Renters insurance covers your additional living expenses if you are unable to live in your home or apartment because of a fire or other covered peril. Most policies will reimburse you the difference between your additional living expenses and your normal living expenses but still may set limits as to the amount they will pay.

Our companies have a wide selection of coverage options you could chose from to customize your policy including the personal property coverage limit, liability and medical payments limits, identity theft coverage endorsement and the option to schedule specific high value items at a limit.

There are two types of renters insurance policies you may purchase:

pays to replace your possessions minus a deduction for depreciation up to the limit of your policy
pays the actual cost of replacing your possessions (no deduction for depreciation) up to the limit of your policy

With either policy, you may want to consider purchasing a floater. A standard renters policy offers only limited coverage for items such as jewelry, silver, furs, etc. If you own property that exceeds these limits, it is recommended that you supplement your policy with a floater. A floater is a separate policy that facilitates additional insurance for your valuables and covers them for perils not included in your policy such as accidental loss.